Skip to main content

Norman Kelsey's Second Album Journal Vol. 4

Well, here we go, Soul Mates.

This new album has a bedrock. Today, we completed the drum tracking with Kevin Jarvis at Karma Frog. In about 4 hours we polished off 4 tracks, including a remake of "Our Love Is Known By Name." I'm truly excited, so much that I hardly know where to start.

OK, we began the day with "Rebound." This is one of my collaborations with Bryan Farrar. In fact, all three of the new cuts we tracked were co-written with Bryan. He handles the chords, I supply the melody and lyrics. Kevin did not require many takes to get a master take down. My producer, Adam Marsland, has really directed some fine performances on this record. I think the first takes on all of the sides were solid. "Rebound" is cut from that 70's pop-funk cloth and even though the arrangement is not particularly conventional, it should be a fun one for shouting and singing along.

"A Miracle Is On The Way" came next and it is disco-ness lead to a conversation about the way rock groups, like Simple Minds, U2 and Franz Ferdinand, use the four-on-the-floor dance grooves. Adam appropriately pointed out that the Durans are the musical linchpin between the genres. I agree. On Saturday, I had a 22 hour road trip and got to listen to the new Duran Duran CD, All You Need Is Now, five times in its entirety. They are still one of my favorite groups.

Which brings me to "So Sophisticated." When Bryan and I started writing this track, I wanted it to be the centerpiece for an LP. It was challenging translating just the bass and guitar to a demo. No vocals, either. As a result, its importance to the new record diminished and other material was feeling stronger. However, driving home a few nights ago, I put the track on repeat and came up with a new hook. The bridge is straight-up jazz funk; that I did not touch. When Adam and I pre-tracked it on Friday, there was a some concern on Adam's part that it was still wonky, so we added lots of percussion and hand-claps, and I'll be if it didn't suddenly sound like some P-Funk. Now, with Kevin in, all of this was explained and he just smiled the entire time. I don't think he heard the track all the way through but once. On the first take, he took us to the funk-side of the moon. I don't know as if I have ever smiled that hard while listening to someone track any instrumental. It took all of my energy to stay in my chair, otherwise I would have ruined the recording. Friends, "So Sophisticated" regained its rightful place at the top of the track listing for the album and will most likely be the first single. It also has to be a front-runner for album title, too. For my fans who love the California Sunshine Funk: what it do!

The fourth side we worked on was a remake of "Our Love Is Known By Name." I realized I over-thought the original rhythm track and asked for a few musical cliches that were deemed unnecessary after a few listens to the rough. Kevin nailed it. Now, this ballad will be more straight ahead, and I hope, ear-pleasing.

The gist of this whole endeavor is to make a record that makes people want to dance. All of the best pop music should make you move. So much of the current dance music relies on electronics (not trash-talking, just fact-checking); this one is going to be much more organic. And I hope it won't feel like too much of a pastiche. I want things to feel familiar, but not sound grafted. Adam and I discussed how exciting it is to be producing what sounds like a vintage dance album, without feeling dated. It's very exciting for me, because there are so many unknowns. Only a few of these songs have been performed live. Some have never been heard by ears outside of the inner circle involved in this project. So far, the results have been breathtaking and gratifying.

If you are doing the math, that makes nine sides with drums. There is an elusive 10th song. The first song I wrote for the album, which may not get analog drums. Adam and I have discussed options for it, from a vintage drum machine to simple percussion. Either way, it is on to the next round. I will start tracking bass parts in June when Adam returns from the road and drum mixing is complete. Then we will start bringing in the guitarists. Adam will be handling the keyboards.

All right, my Indians are on TV. Gotta go support the Tribe. Thanks for checking in. If you are a friend on facebook, please be sure to "like" my music page. I will be shifting all musical attention there shortly, as well as relaunching my website.

Peace and Disco Beats

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air - Book Review

“The Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air” is a trippy new mystery novel from Phillip Mottaz. It captures the grit and gilt of the City of Angels with the flair of a contemporary Raymond Chandler. The brisk pace and wit are reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s entries in the detective game. Flourishes of  Fletch  and “Medium” also spring to mind. However, Mottaz has added a psychic/mutant/superhuman touch and his own comedic voice, structure and internal monologues to the proceedings that help the author announce his own style and the arrival of a literary heroine for a new generation. Hairstylist and budding private investigator, Danica Luman is the perfect character to convey the irony, angst and sarcasm needed to tell a 21st century L.A. crime story. Danica also represents anyone who thought it would be neat to get tangled up in a mystery and the darkly comic cautionary tale that follows. The genre is recognizable, but Mottaz offers a fresh take on the not-ready-for-prime-time-hard-b

Hello, Dali! (Now with 50% More Photos)

Hola , Soul Mates, I'm feeling very jet lagged. Just got back from Espana . Catalunya and Andalucia to be more precise. I even learned Catalan ( jo parlo catala , amics ) and spoke it in broken fashion to amused natives. But wait, here's proof... It's me at the Dali Teatro - Museu in Figueres on Salvador's birthday. The place is more funhouse than museum. This objet d'art was hidden in a stairwell. I call it "The Crowned Peacock Dreams of Genie." Dali lived here. He's buried here. I'm being idiotic here. Genuflecting or posing? Felicitats , Salvador! It was his birthday and I was the only one celebrating. And yes, I did sing "Happy Birthday" to him. Another installation that defies explanation. But it's got a real crocodile and a real light bulb and artificial limbs involved. What's not to like? Seems like every town in Catalonia has some sort of memorial to John Lennon. This sign had fallen off (no, I did not keep it), s

Jim Brown: G.O.A.T.

Yesterday, I met the Greatest of All-Time in his profession. It's not everyday that you see one, let alone get to interact. Of course, the encounter is nerve-wracking for the fan and probably tedious for the G.O.A.T. Thanks to my friend Steve, we got to visit the field prior my hometown Cleveland Browns ' matchup against the Chargers in San Diego. I had hope to see some of the old new Browns and get some pictures. I also had a small bag with a couple of mini helmets inside it and figured, these guys wouldn't mind that someone actually cared for their autographs. As we walked around the sideline, I sized up my options. Not a lot of players on the field yet. And it was hot. Probably around 95 and I had on a jacket to cover up my vintage Brian Sipe jersey. Lo and behold, who do I see holding court at the far end but the Greatest football player... Ever: Jim Brown . A true legend. The man whole holds a record book full of milestones. Star of the silverscreen. Community activist