Skip to main content

My Grammy Moment

This year's 50th Grammy Celebration was so superior to last year's awards ceremonies that I can barely contain my thoughts as I type. So many highlights. So many great moments. I hope you had a chance to watch the show. In case you didn't here's a bit of what you really missed out on from my seats in the 200 level:

The Time reunited to perform "Jungle Love." Flat out fun. They had the Staples Center grooving. Rihanna joined them half-way through to perform her hits "Umbrella" and "Don't Stop The Music." What became abundantly apparent was how superior the Time's nearly 25 year old song was. Rihanna's performance was helped by being backed by one of the premier funk outfits of all time. Morris Day and Jerome still have the moves and the comedy timing down!

Aretha Franklin and Co. ran through gospel hits ancient and new. They brought Cherch to the show like never before. And when the choir and 'Retha finished with "the Old Landmark" it was time to grab a fan and cool off.

Tina Turner. Ahem. Tina! Turner! Hot dang. I hope that I have that kind of energy when I'm whatever age she isn't! Tina's iron-hot "Proud Mary" was probably the most exciting segment of the night. Beyonce held her own duetting with Tina, but this was Tina's moment. Makes you wish she hadn't retired. Tina danced her butt off in that silver lame outfit. Come back, Tina, come back!

Kanye West and Daft Punk rocked out "Stronger." Looking like a hip-hop version of Tron, Kanye really amped up the crowd. And then when he cooled things off with his tribute to his recently departed mother, "Hey Mama" everyone felt his loss. But when he accepted his award for Best Rap Album did is usual snarky and fabulously arrogant personality returned. His speech was running long and the cut-off cue began while he was thanking his mom. Kanye quipped, "now would be a good time to stop the music."

Even artists I didn't root for or know much about were fun to hear, especially country star Brad Paisley's "I'd Like To Check You For Ticks." Of course, I was blown away by the trio of John Fogerty, Jerry Lee Lewis and the architect, Little Richard. They tore through Fogerty's new song "Revival" and spiced it up with footstomping bridges of "Great Balls Of Fire" and "Good Golly Miss Molly." You know how much I love Richard and he had the crowd eating up that rock and roll like it was 1958!

Of course, the performance I had been waiting for delivered on every level and then some. Cuba Gooding Jr. introduced a cleaned up Amy Winehouse who performed via satellite from a studio in London. It should go down as one of the hottest perfs in Grammy history. Amy tore into "You Know I'm No Good" and segued into her massive Grammy winning hit "Rehab." Art imitating life, imitating art, imitating life. Amy is a powerful vocalist with great stories to tell. I'm happy for her that she got her act together enough to do the show, even from 5000 miles away. I have mentioned before that I voted for Wino in all four major categories (she scored in 3). So I was really pulling for her performance and for her to win. I was certainly applauding loudest in our section each time she rang up a victory and after her singing.

As for my personal experience at the show, much better than last year. Many of the people I voted for won! I even got to congratulate several of last night's winners including Terence Blanchard, Jim Lauderdale and the late Gerald Levert's mom. The pretelecast ceremony was not as much fun as last year in terms of star power, BUT, there was a special segment that featured a performance by the last of the Delta blues giants. Pinetop Perkins and Honeyboy Edwards accompanied Koko Taylor on "Let The Good Times Roll." Oh my. It was about 270 years of musical experience tearing up the joint. Unforgettable.


There are so many other moments I could write about, like Ringo and George Martin on stage; Jason Bateman's hilarious segments introducing the last great American rock band Foo Fighters; or Herbie Hancock and Lang Lang revisiting the 20th Century classic "Rhapsody In Blue." Instead, I'll tell you about My Grammy Moment.

As my beautiful date and I were leaving our seats, I realized we were about to walk past Sam Moore of the legendary Sam & Dave. I had waved to him last year at the pretelecast (I had voted for him in best Trad R&B album, which he did not win). But I seized the opportunity to say hello and tell him how much I appreciated him and his music. Come on, I sang "Hold On I'm A-Comin'" in Liverpool! Sam was genuinely warm in taking time for me. We chatted about his nomination from last year and Amy Winehouse's crazy dance moves. Then he was kind enough to pose for a picture. It was the cherry on top of the sundae. Sam Moore is the original SOUL MAN. There are few artists that I've wanted to meet as much as him. You made the night that much more special, Sam. "And I Thank You!"


Well, I am certainly going to do my best to get A Talent For Loving nominated for Best Urban/Alternative performance. I'll be up against some stiff competition from Gnarls Barkley, I imagine. If it's God's will, you never know!? I don't know how the Grammy folks are going to top this year's show, but I'll be there next year to find out.

This last photo is me and my arm candy (or is it the other way around) in front of the Foo Fighters' outdoor stage. We clean up good.


Peace & Disco Beats

Comments

DAVE said…
An Awesome show!! The Time was stop-on-a-dime perfect even after all these years. Tina still rocks and Aretha still has the greatest voice to ever be recorded. Amy Winehouse was outstanding, though her voice is eerily similar to Alicia Bridges ("I Love the Nightlife")..things that make ya go hhmmnnn. Even the Alicia Keys duet with Sinatra was capsizing.
-Numero Quatro..
That's Number 4 for the morons (stolen from Jason Bateman's line)
Norman K said…
Thanks for all of the texts during the show, Dave! It was a riot hearing from you.
Peace
Unknown said…
The Vince Gill acceptance was up on YouTube this afternoon if you search on "Vince Gill Grammy Kanye" without the quotes. Norm, it was priceless. If you can't find it out there, I will. He got Kanye good - wihout being nasty at all. I did not know when The Time was on, and I was wiped out from the day, so yes, I wish I saw that live so I could have... sav(or)ed that per4mance. What I saw on YouTube was nowhere near as good a quality as the Vince Gill acceptance speech. But from what I could see and hear, Rihanna got some learnin' to do. Ain't nuttin' to 'splain about it. As 4 meeting the original SOUL MA - AWESOME! And what's this about morons, Numero Quatro? It's on bee-...
Unknown said…
Oh, now that I've looked at the picture with Sam, I have to say there should have been this caption... M/A/R/R/S... needs... women... AND SAM MOORE!
DAVE said…
I'll explain my quip since you missed the Grammys, Xto..
At one point Jason Bateman was outside the Staples Center saying the Foo Fighters was coming on stage with "an up-start by the name of John Paul Jones"..then adding "he was in Led Zeppelin for the morons.."..so there you have it.
Oh, and yes, Vince Gill's acceptance was priceless.."I was just handed an award by a Beatle (Ringo Starr)..Kanye I bet this never happend to you.."
Unknown said…
M/A/R/R/S... needs... women (women, women, women)... AND SAM MOORE!

Popular posts from this blog

Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air - Book Review

“The Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air” is a trippy new mystery novel from Phillip Mottaz. It captures the grit and gilt of the City of Angels with the flair of a contemporary Raymond Chandler. The brisk pace and wit are reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s entries in the detective game. Flourishes of  Fletch  and “Medium” also spring to mind. However, Mottaz has added a psychic/mutant/superhuman touch and his own comedic voice, structure and internal monologues to the proceedings that help the author announce his own style and the arrival of a literary heroine for a new generation. Hairstylist and budding private investigator, Danica Luman is the perfect character to convey the irony, angst and sarcasm needed to tell a 21st century L.A. crime story. Danica also represents anyone who thought it would be neat to get tangled up in a mystery and the darkly comic cautionary tale that follows. The genre is recognizable, but Mottaz offers a fresh take on the not-ready-for-prime-time-hard-b

Hello, Dali! (Now with 50% More Photos)

Hola , Soul Mates, I'm feeling very jet lagged. Just got back from Espana . Catalunya and Andalucia to be more precise. I even learned Catalan ( jo parlo catala , amics ) and spoke it in broken fashion to amused natives. But wait, here's proof... It's me at the Dali Teatro - Museu in Figueres on Salvador's birthday. The place is more funhouse than museum. This objet d'art was hidden in a stairwell. I call it "The Crowned Peacock Dreams of Genie." Dali lived here. He's buried here. I'm being idiotic here. Genuflecting or posing? Felicitats , Salvador! It was his birthday and I was the only one celebrating. And yes, I did sing "Happy Birthday" to him. Another installation that defies explanation. But it's got a real crocodile and a real light bulb and artificial limbs involved. What's not to like? Seems like every town in Catalonia has some sort of memorial to John Lennon. This sign had fallen off (no, I did not keep it), s

Jim Brown: G.O.A.T.

Yesterday, I met the Greatest of All-Time in his profession. It's not everyday that you see one, let alone get to interact. Of course, the encounter is nerve-wracking for the fan and probably tedious for the G.O.A.T. Thanks to my friend Steve, we got to visit the field prior my hometown Cleveland Browns ' matchup against the Chargers in San Diego. I had hope to see some of the old new Browns and get some pictures. I also had a small bag with a couple of mini helmets inside it and figured, these guys wouldn't mind that someone actually cared for their autographs. As we walked around the sideline, I sized up my options. Not a lot of players on the field yet. And it was hot. Probably around 95 and I had on a jacket to cover up my vintage Brian Sipe jersey. Lo and behold, who do I see holding court at the far end but the Greatest football player... Ever: Jim Brown . A true legend. The man whole holds a record book full of milestones. Star of the silverscreen. Community activist