Skip to main content

Jim Brown: G.O.A.T.

Yesterday, I met the Greatest of All-Time in his profession. It's not everyday that you see one, let alone get to interact. Of course, the encounter is nerve-wracking for the fan and probably tedious for the G.O.A.T.

Thanks to my friend Steve, we got to visit the field prior my hometown
Cleveland Browns' matchup against the Chargers in San Diego. I had hope to see some of the old new Browns and get some pictures. I also had a small bag with a couple of mini helmets inside it and figured, these guys wouldn't mind that someone actually cared for their autographs. As we walked around the sideline, I sized up my options. Not a lot of players on the field yet. And it was hot. Probably around 95 and I had on a jacket to cover up my vintage Brian Sipe jersey.

Lo and behold, who do I see holding court at the far end but the Greatest football player... Ever:
Jim Brown. A true legend. The man whole holds a record book full of milestones. Star of the silverscreen. Community activist. The best player to ever wear a Browns uniform (or the uniform of any Cleveland team in any sport). Brown is arguably one of the 5 best American athletes of the 20th Century, along with Ali, Jordan, Thorpe & Owens.

We all get older, and Mr. Brown moves slower (no more cutting around the right end or plowing past a nose tackle), but it's still Jim Brown larger than life. Oh, and I was nervous as hell from the minute I saw him. I decided that the best thing to do would be to hang back and just snap a picture, maybe ask to be in one with him. But then, some staffers crept up with footballs and paint pens. That was my break. I turned to Steve and said, if I meet him and I'm thrown out or arrested as a result, I won't care.

I jumped behind the crew with helmet and sharpie in hand. They apparently weren't supposed to be asking Mr. Brown for anything and he told them as much. I held my ground and asked him for one last autograph and after a quick glower he took the helmet and pen. Then I actually had a brief exchange with him. What I said? I have no clue, it all came out in stupid fan speak, half-finished sentences and mumbles. But dang it, I met Jim Brown! With photos and an autographed helmet on my desk to prove it. Thanks, Mr. Brown.





And Mr. Brown if you were worried that I was behaving inappropriately or that I would sell my helmet? First, my apologies; second hell, no! To paraphrase Charlton Heston, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. Anyway, I must have shook for the next 10 minutes while we walked around the rest of the field. Other autographs could wait till next year.

The
game itself was fun. Our seats were 5 rows from the field behind the Browns' bench. I'll have to watch the video tape to see if we made it onto TV. Cleveland actually kept it close until the 4th quarter. Kicker Phil Dawson set a team record with 6 field goals. Lots of odd calls and penalties against the home team and a half-time lead for the Browns made it worthwhile for me.

Oh, and I met Jim Brown. Greatest of All Time.

Love, Power, Peace

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a fun day!

But where did Jim Brown play football in college ... ?
Norman K said…
Ah, yes... at my Big East rival Syracuse. Where he was All-Everything, not just football, but the most famous lacrosse player of all time, too.

Look closely at the pic of Mr. Brown and you'll see he's wearing an Orangemen track suit. I think it's appropriate that orange looms so large in Brown's legend.

You know, as a kid, I thought that the Cleveland football team was named after him, not coach Paul Brown.
Anonymous said…
Nothing more amazing than being on the field...I love football season! Thanks for a wonderful day!
Anonymous said…
Mike Powell may have an ever-so-o-slight edge there on the OrangeLAX fame ... but no one else can claim spots in the Football HOF, the LAX HOF, AND the College Football HOF. What a GOAT! Yay for Jim Brown SU pride! CUUUUSE

How great would it have been to see him and Ernie Davis play in the same NFL backfield? So sad.
Anonymous said…
What a cool thing to meet the Great Jim Brown!! He was amazing..averaging 5 yards per carry!! Though my fave all-time back was #34 Walter Payton, whom I had the honor of meeting his second year w/da Bears.
-Dave

Popular posts from this blog

Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air - Book Review

“The Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air” is a trippy new mystery novel from Phillip Mottaz. It captures the grit and gilt of the City of Angels with the flair of a contemporary Raymond Chandler. The brisk pace and wit are reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s entries in the detective game. Flourishes of  Fletch  and “Medium” also spring to mind. However, Mottaz has added a psychic/mutant/superhuman touch and his own comedic voice, structure and internal monologues to the proceedings that help the author announce his own style and the arrival of a literary heroine for a new generation. Hairstylist and budding private investigator, Danica Luman is the perfect character to convey the irony, angst and sarcasm needed to tell a 21st century L.A. crime story. Danica also represents anyone who thought it would be neat to get tangled up in a mystery and the darkly comic cautionary tale that follows. The genre is recognizable, but Mottaz offers a fresh take on the not-ready-for-prime-time-hard-b

Hello, Dali! (Now with 50% More Photos)

Hola , Soul Mates, I'm feeling very jet lagged. Just got back from Espana . Catalunya and Andalucia to be more precise. I even learned Catalan ( jo parlo catala , amics ) and spoke it in broken fashion to amused natives. But wait, here's proof... It's me at the Dali Teatro - Museu in Figueres on Salvador's birthday. The place is more funhouse than museum. This objet d'art was hidden in a stairwell. I call it "The Crowned Peacock Dreams of Genie." Dali lived here. He's buried here. I'm being idiotic here. Genuflecting or posing? Felicitats , Salvador! It was his birthday and I was the only one celebrating. And yes, I did sing "Happy Birthday" to him. Another installation that defies explanation. But it's got a real crocodile and a real light bulb and artificial limbs involved. What's not to like? Seems like every town in Catalonia has some sort of memorial to John Lennon. This sign had fallen off (no, I did not keep it), s