Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Elvis (Costello)!

Hey Soul Mates,
today is
Elvis Costello's birthday. As a kid, I was always mystified as to why anyone else would be called "Elvis?" There was only one real Elvis, the king. But here was Declan MacManus from Liverpool calling himself "Elvis."

Now, I didn't know today was his birthday, but for some reason Costello was on my mind. He was all I listened to on my iPod this afternoon. I went through his Greatest Hits and the first few tracks from his collaboration with Burt Bacharach. While I was jamming (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea and walking around North Hollywood, I was thinking, I should write a blog about the nicest people I've met in the music industry and I'll start with Elvis Costello. But wait, was Blondie Chaplin nicer or was Prince? Well, Blondie probably gets most attentive; Prince most patient. Not to name drop, the purpose was to let you know who I thought was brilliant in person. If it wasn't Elvis, he's up there.

I actually met Elvis and Burt backstage at the Universal Amphitheatre back in '99 when they played a show there together. I managed to get behind the building and saw the two of them rehearsing with their small orchestra outdoors. When the session was done both of them were still chatting and I decided to approach them. Burt was simply California cool and all that implies. Elvis on the other hand was all smiles and happy to meet me. He vigorously shook my hand when I told him how much I enjoyed Painted From Memory. I was still DJing at a local record store and mentioned that I'd been giving it plenty of spins. His reply, "Good on you!" One could be cynical and say that was the reason why Elvis was personable. But I don't think so. He asked if I was into playing music and didn't mind taking time with a fan. When I told him I'd be up front for the show, he enthused, "I hope you like it." Quite humble for someone I would call a megatalent. Granted he is literally a foot shorter than yours truly, so I had a lot going for me.

[That makes me think of my favorite moments from Stardust Memories, as all kinds of nutty types ask Woody Allen's character for autographs. At least I didn't press Elvis for one.]

I've been told many times that my vocals are reminiscent of Elvis'. I can see that. Or rather hear that. I take it as a compliment. I certainly like enough of his music, although I didn't get into him until he did his collaborations with Paul McCartney. For those unfamiliar with Costello, he's worth checking out. Some numbers of his that I really like are: Veronica, Everyday I Write The Book, Chelsea, Pump It Up, Thirteen Steps Lead Down, Accidents Will Happen and Man Out Of Time.

Gotta give Costello props, too for working with Allen Toussaint on the Katrina benefit recordings.

So, when I saw this evening that it was his 52nd, I figured I had to give him a shout out.
Happy Birthday, Elvis Costello!

What's so funny about Love, Power, Peace?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins (Review)

I'm just in from the world premiere of Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins . WHRJ is the new comedy starring Martin Lawrence, directed by Malcolm Lee ( Roll Bounce ; Undercover Brother both underrated and well-worth your time) . It's the story of a Hollywood hotshot who takes his new fiancee and his son to his parents' 50 th wedding anniversary/family reunion. Mr. Lawrence as usual shows off his comedic genius. He has steadily become a sure bet in Hollywood. This time Lawrence is flanked by a cast of stars that at times threaten to steal the movie. Mike Epps (Reggie, a straight-up fool) and Mo'Nique (Betty) in particular shine in their roles as cousins to Lawrence's talk show king, RJ Stevens aka Roscoe Jenkins. The gift of gab runs deep in this family. Michael Clarke Duncan has never made me laugh so hard as Otis, Roscoe's unlikely little brother. Anytime the three of them were on screen the audience's laughter drowned out the dialogue. Watch for the softba...

Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air - Book Review

“The Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air” is a trippy new mystery novel from Phillip Mottaz. It captures the grit and gilt of the City of Angels with the flair of a contemporary Raymond Chandler. The brisk pace and wit are reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s entries in the detective game. Flourishes of  Fletch  and “Medium” also spring to mind. However, Mottaz has added a psychic/mutant/superhuman touch and his own comedic voice, structure and internal monologues to the proceedings that help the author announce his own style and the arrival of a literary heroine for a new generation. Hairstylist and budding private investigator, Danica Luman is the perfect character to convey the irony, angst and sarcasm needed to tell a 21st century L.A. crime story. Danica also represents anyone who thought it would be neat to get tangled up in a mystery and the darkly comic cautionary tale that follows. The genre is recognizable, but Mottaz offers a fresh take on the not-ready-for-prime-ti...

My Grammy Moment

This year's 50th Grammy Celebration was so superior to last year's awards ceremonies that I can barely contain my thoughts as I type. So many highlights. So many great moments. I hope you had a chance to watch the show. In case you didn't here's a bit of what you really missed out on from my seats in the 200 level: The Time reunited to perform "Jungle Love." Flat out fun. They had the Staples Center grooving. Rihanna joined them half-way through to perform her hits "Umbrella" and "Don't Stop The Music." What became abundantly apparent was how superior the Time's nearly 25 year old song was. Rihanna's performance was helped by being backed by one of the premier funk outfits of all time. Morris Day and Jerome still have the moves and the comedy timing down! Aretha Franklin and Co. ran through gospel hits ancient and new. They brought Cherch to the show like never before. And when the choir and 'Retha finished with "the...