Skip to main content

Magic

My 500th blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Late last night I discovered that there is one more great Summer album. Bruce Springsteen's Magic. There are records that immediately evoke a place and time for me. I thought I might not find another Summer set. Music has gone so far down hill in general. There are some good singles, but few entire albums that hit the mark.

Magic was released last October to much fanfare and debuted at Number 1. The lead single Radio Nowhere wasn't a killer, even though it was a freebie on iTunes. So I didn't pay any more attention to the record. Combine that with the fact that Bruce was pretty well snubbed by the Grammys in the major categories.

Then around Christmas, I heard Bruce's second single The Girls In Their Summer Clothes. Now that it is the dog days, TGITSC is magnificent. The true test was listening to the CD in my car with the windows rolled down on a warm July night as I ran some evening errands. Brilliant. Shimmering. It's like a night-time carnival of sound. I'm looking forward to hearing it in broad day light. Livin' In The Future and You'll Be Coming Down are equally appealing. It's also fun to hear Bruce in great voice really digging for smoother vocal performances than usual. The slower moments are powerful, too. The album closer Terry's Song is a touching eulogy punctuated with the refrain: "When they built you, Brother, they broke the mold."

Bruce sure can write a great pop song when he wants to. My only quibble with the record is that it is over-compressed in places. I know Springsteen likes that Wall Of Sound aesthetic, but sometimes it can be too much for the digital age. When the E Street Band kicks into high gear though, the performances are undeniable. I haven't been this enthralled by Bruce since Born In The USA. I did get to see him and the Band at Dodger Stadium a few Summers back. Wish he was coming to town again to hear these songs in a live setting. Oh, well.

So for my record buying friends, this is a great back porch record or apartment balcony blaster. Albums like this were born to be soundtracks to BBQs. Better yet, cruise down the boulevard around 9 tonight with all the windows down and let the breeze cool you off and the Magic heat you up. I know I will on the way home from work. It's not a party album, but it does rock and roll and hits me right to the core.

Got a recent LP that shouts "Summer Album?" Drop me a comment.

Speaking of cooling off, time for a haircut. Gotta run.

Peace & Summer Breezes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air - Book Review

“The Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air” is a trippy new mystery novel from Phillip Mottaz. It captures the grit and gilt of the City of Angels with the flair of a contemporary Raymond Chandler. The brisk pace and wit are reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s entries in the detective game. Flourishes of  Fletch  and “Medium” also spring to mind. However, Mottaz has added a psychic/mutant/superhuman touch and his own comedic voice, structure and internal monologues to the proceedings that help the author announce his own style and the arrival of a literary heroine for a new generation. Hairstylist and budding private investigator, Danica Luman is the perfect character to convey the irony, angst and sarcasm needed to tell a 21st century L.A. crime story. Danica also represents anyone who thought it would be neat to get tangled up in a mystery and the darkly comic cautionary tale that follows. The genre is recognizable, but Mottaz offers a fresh take on the not-ready-for-prime-time-hard-b

Hello, Dali! (Now with 50% More Photos)

Hola , Soul Mates, I'm feeling very jet lagged. Just got back from Espana . Catalunya and Andalucia to be more precise. I even learned Catalan ( jo parlo catala , amics ) and spoke it in broken fashion to amused natives. But wait, here's proof... It's me at the Dali Teatro - Museu in Figueres on Salvador's birthday. The place is more funhouse than museum. This objet d'art was hidden in a stairwell. I call it "The Crowned Peacock Dreams of Genie." Dali lived here. He's buried here. I'm being idiotic here. Genuflecting or posing? Felicitats , Salvador! It was his birthday and I was the only one celebrating. And yes, I did sing "Happy Birthday" to him. Another installation that defies explanation. But it's got a real crocodile and a real light bulb and artificial limbs involved. What's not to like? Seems like every town in Catalonia has some sort of memorial to John Lennon. This sign had fallen off (no, I did not keep it), s

Jim Brown: G.O.A.T.

Yesterday, I met the Greatest of All-Time in his profession. It's not everyday that you see one, let alone get to interact. Of course, the encounter is nerve-wracking for the fan and probably tedious for the G.O.A.T. Thanks to my friend Steve, we got to visit the field prior my hometown Cleveland Browns ' matchup against the Chargers in San Diego. I had hope to see some of the old new Browns and get some pictures. I also had a small bag with a couple of mini helmets inside it and figured, these guys wouldn't mind that someone actually cared for their autographs. As we walked around the sideline, I sized up my options. Not a lot of players on the field yet. And it was hot. Probably around 95 and I had on a jacket to cover up my vintage Brian Sipe jersey. Lo and behold, who do I see holding court at the far end but the Greatest football player... Ever: Jim Brown . A true legend. The man whole holds a record book full of milestones. Star of the silverscreen. Community activist