Skip to main content

Top 10 Albums and Records of 2014

Happy Boxing Day! Time for my Top 10s for 2014.

Album of the Year and Record of the Year. What's the difference? I follow the guidelines of the good folks at the Grammy Awards. Albums are full artistic statements; Records are those singles or defining tracks that made the most impact on my playlists. These titles were enjoyed on my iPod, CD player and turntable.

The Sonic Arts were alive and well this year. All of these releases came out in 2014 or made their greatest impact this calendar year (so Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire are absent). However, I like to wait until December to put out my lists because sometimes a record unleashes in the days before Christmas (ahem, D'Angelo & Mark Ronson) or late discoveries and re-evaluations (St. Vincent).

Top Ten Albums:

1. Prince - Art Official Age. Yep, Prince crept up on me with this one. Not since "Sign 'O' The Times" has Prince put out what I would call my Album of the Year." Don't call it a comeback, but Art Official Age is really sublime.
2.Black Keys - Turn Blue
3. Jack White - Lazaretto
4. St. Vincent - St. Vincent
5. Phantogram - Voices
6. Robin Gibb - 50 St. Catherine's Drive
7. Kimbra - The Golden Echo
8. Pharrell Williams - G I R L
9. U2 - Songs of Innocence
10. D'Angelo & the Vanguard - Black Messiah

Top Ten Records:

1. Black Keys - Gotta Get Away. These guys get better and better. Another fun, three minute, two-lane black top blaster. I road tested this one in Honolulu, Atlanta, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Believe in the Black Keys.
2. Phantogram - Fall In Love
3. Prince - CLOUDS
4. Jack White - Lazaretto
5. Nick Jonas - Jealous
6. Mark Ronson (Feat. Bruno Mars) - Uptown Funk
7. The Orwells - Who Needs You
8. Prince - FUNKNROLL
9. Michael Jackson & Justin Timberlake - Love Never Felt So Good
10. St. Vincent - Digital Witness

I could easily rattle off a Top Twenty singles, including cuts by Lake Street Drive, Little Dragon, sElf, Jessie J and MisterWives. It was that kind of year.

I hope that you found wonderful music to listen to and that 2015 is equally adventurous. Music is a magical part of life's journey. Meant to be discovered, shared and repeated.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air - Book Review

“The Murderous Haircut of the Mayor of Bel Air” is a trippy new mystery novel from Phillip Mottaz. It captures the grit and gilt of the City of Angels with the flair of a contemporary Raymond Chandler. The brisk pace and wit are reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s entries in the detective game. Flourishes of  Fletch  and “Medium” also spring to mind. However, Mottaz has added a psychic/mutant/superhuman touch and his own comedic voice, structure and internal monologues to the proceedings that help the author announce his own style and the arrival of a literary heroine for a new generation. Hairstylist and budding private investigator, Danica Luman is the perfect character to convey the irony, angst and sarcasm needed to tell a 21st century L.A. crime story. Danica also represents anyone who thought it would be neat to get tangled up in a mystery and the darkly comic cautionary tale that follows. The genre is recognizable, but Mottaz offers a fresh take on the not-ready-for-prime-time-hard-b

Freebird, Fla.

Hey Soul Mates, the Rock Hall inductee class of '06 has been announced. Now, my high school mates (especially, Mike) can shut up about Jacksonville's own, Lynyrd Skynyrd making the Hall. Congrats to them. This is not my favorite group of Hall of Famers: Miles Davis, Black Sabbath, Blondie and the Sex Pistols. Of this batch, only Blondie was a contemporary presence for me. No disrespect to the fans of the other artists. Just not my cup of tea. I'm sure my buddy Mark though is still lamenting Chicago's absence from the Rock Hall. The induction ceremony should be interesting though, because a lot of country-rockers are going to come out of the woodwork to honor Skynyrd. Blondie, Sabbath and the Pistols are all relatively intact so their performances will be highly anticipated. I'm particularly anxious to hear what the Sex Pistols portion of the evening will entail. Who will induct them? Green Day? U2? That's sure to be the highlight of the night. That, and Ozzy

Jim Brown: G.O.A.T.

Yesterday, I met the Greatest of All-Time in his profession. It's not everyday that you see one, let alone get to interact. Of course, the encounter is nerve-wracking for the fan and probably tedious for the G.O.A.T. Thanks to my friend Steve, we got to visit the field prior my hometown Cleveland Browns ' matchup against the Chargers in San Diego. I had hope to see some of the old new Browns and get some pictures. I also had a small bag with a couple of mini helmets inside it and figured, these guys wouldn't mind that someone actually cared for their autographs. As we walked around the sideline, I sized up my options. Not a lot of players on the field yet. And it was hot. Probably around 95 and I had on a jacket to cover up my vintage Brian Sipe jersey. Lo and behold, who do I see holding court at the far end but the Greatest football player... Ever: Jim Brown . A true legend. The man whole holds a record book full of milestones. Star of the silverscreen. Community activist